- Name : Anna Kournikova
- Date of Birth : June 7, 1981
- Place of Birth : Moscow, Russia
- Sign : Sun in Gemini, Moon in Leo
- Height : 5' 8''
- Weight : 123 lbs.
- Measurements at 2004: 32B - 24 - 34
- Lives : Miami, Florida, USA
- Profession : Tennis Player
- Fan Mail :
c/o Bollettieri Tennis
Academy 5500 34th St.
West Bradenton, FL 34210 USA
West Bradenton, FL 34210 USA
anna kournikova biography
Russian-born Anna Kournikova left Moscow at the age of 9 to come to Nick Bollettieri's Tennis Academy in Florida, USA - the same academywhich has also produced Monica Seles and Andre Agassi.She was the world's topped-ranked junior at the end of 1995, shortlyafter Martina Hingis joined the professional ranks. Kournikova herselfturned professional in 1996, and competed in her first grand slam at theUS Open that year. She performed exceptionally well, defeating seededplayers before finally falling to eventual champion Steffi Graf in the4th round.
In 1997, she affirmed her position amongst the world's top players,highlighted by a semi-final appearance at her first Wimbledon as aprofessional. In 1998 she further surged up the rankings, with the highlightbeing an appearance in the final of the prestigious Lipton Championships,defeating four top 10 players consecutively along the way. Soon after, shescored her first victory over world number 1 Hingis, and just prior toWimbledon she broke into the world Top 10 for the first time in her career.A thumb injury before Wimbledon (suffered in a match where she defeatedGraf) ruled her out of tournaments for the next few months, and she hassince had a tough time regaining her momentum. 1999 began with acontroversial Australian Open, her play marred by poor form with her service.However, she did manage to make the 4th round in singles (her best result)as well as winning the doubles championships with Hingis as her partner.
Anna says her game wasn't modelled after any one player, although listsGraf and Seles as players she has learnt from, watching television. Nowat 18 years of age, she is developing her power game and exhibitingsome fearful groundstrokes coupled with superb court mentality.Anna is indeed superstar material, with glamourous looks (she says ifnot for tennis, her passion would be acting) and an aggressive all-courtgame to match. In fact, she has had an agent since the age of 10.She is currently on the verge of the world Top 10, and others forseeher and Hingis (along with the Williams sisters) battling it out for worldnumber 1 in the not-too-distant future. Regardless, Anna Kournikovawill play a great role in the future of women's tennis.
Anna Kournikova Trivia
Is the only child to her parents.
- Ex-tennis player.
- Named one of "People" magazine's 50 Most Beautiful People of 1998.
- Graduated from a Russian high school in 1997, and has attended Russian University of Physical Culture since 1997.
- Dated Pavel Bure and childhood sweetheart Sergei Fedorov at the same time. Fedorov told The Hockey News that he and Kournikova had secretly married in July 2001, but were divorced shortly thereafter; Kournikova has never confirmed this.
- 2002: Appears in the new Enrique Iglesias video "Escape".
- # Her fastest serve was clocked at 111.2 mph during the Paris Indoors of 1998.
- # May 2002: has been voted "the sexiest woman in the world" in the magazine "FHM" (Australian version).
- Has never won a major tennis tournament, as of January 2004.
- It is announced that Kournikova was voted the Sexiest Woman in the World in FHM's 100 Sexiest Girls poll for 2002, American edition. [May 2002]
- Knocked out of Wimbledon in the first round. [June 2002]
- Ranked 299th in the world (as of October 2003).
- Has a tattoo of a sun design on her lower back, which made its "debut" at the 2003 Australian Open. Oddly, she denied having it, telling reporters that it was actually a heat patch to treat back pain.
- Sold her Miami Beach condo at Portofino Tower to Sergei Fedorov for $1.63 million (December 2003).
- In February 2001, the Anna Kournikova Virus was released. Within a few hours of its distribution anti-virus vendors received thousands of reports. However, investigators were only able to list 55 incidents of infection, causing just $166,827 worth of damage. On 27 September 2001, a Dutch court gave the virus's author, Jan De Wit, the choice of 150 hours community service or 75 days in jail.
- Her favorite food is Sushi.
- Voted as #9 on the Top 100 Sexiest Women 2004 in FHM [DK].
- Her best ranking in tennis was number 8 in the world (2000).
- Career best Grand Slam tournament singles results: Australian Open quarterfinals in 2001, French Open 4th round in 1998 and 1999, Wimbledon semifinals in 1997, U.S. Open 4th round in 1996 and 1998.
- Named #29 on the Maxim magazine Hot 100 of 2005 list.
- Ranked as #62 in FHM's "100 Sexiest Women in the World 2005" special supplement. (2005)